With my second diploma painting (“Äiti, tuleeko koulusta huonoa palautetta?”, featured in the fourth square in the collage above) now having been sold, I figured it’s finally time to wrap up 2013 and really focus on new things.
Achievements of 2013:
- I continued the process of creating my diploma pieces, cementing the idea of painting in black-and-white and using newspaper and other materials as part of my painting.
- I exhibited at the graduation show in Imatra with my two paintings, Voimanainen and “Äiti, tuleeko koulusta huonoa palautetta?” (Both pieces now sold!)
- I got my diploma
- I had my first solo show (Vapaudeksi!/For freedom!) at Gallery Honkaharju, Imatra. I exhibited drawings of horses I had done after the horse meat scandal, exploring the different ways we see horses.
- I started sketching and generating ideas and set-ups for new paintings at my newly-acquired studio in Imatra.
- The paintings “Äiti, tuleeko koulusta huonoa palautetta?” and Katseet were chosen for the Portrait -exhibiton at Lahti Museum of Art.
- I got invited to show my works at Unknown Cargo in Helsinki. With only a few paintings finished and less than a month until the opening when I got the invite… well, it was very interesting, stressful – and extremely rewarding.
- The largest newspaper in Finland, Helsingin Sanomat, even recommended my exhibition.
- Sold the painting Voimanainen from the exhibition, my first larger work to be sold to a person I didn’t know previously.